Quality vs. Quantity...and a dash of the Queen



Despite being more of a “desert rat” these days, I spent some time in London as a kid. For several years I wore a uniform (tie and all) to attend British school, held afternoon tea parties and even inherited a bit of an accent. That’s right, at age seven I was ahead of both Madge and Gwennie in the trend-setting department. Though my affection for pubs, the Boots brand, and for a brief time, Benson and Hedges cigs, came later, I fell in love with the simplicity of European living early long. Daily market jaunts, garden parties, fog, and “popping ‘round to friends down the way” wearing wellies and a poorly-placed bun became my part of my routine. On my way to work this morning during my new routine, I got to thinking about those years. What I realized while stopping-and-going, getting and giving the bird, stressing about deadlines, and trying to keep my makeup from completely melting off my face, is that there’s a lot to be said for simplicity. The tchotchke-less, chapstick-only-wearing, good-quality, basic looks and styles that lend themselves to easy living and the all around “simple life.” You know, one that includes a little more London…and a lot less Paris. Word.

(Image via Skona Hem, nested rose bowls from White Forest Pottery, pearl buttons on canvas by Ann Carrington, Hunter wellies, Pottery Barn striped jute rug, old steel mill shelf unit from Modern 50)

anita  – (June 25, 2010 at 4:00 AM)  

ahhhhh, london.
i'd give anything to be living the simple life there.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

BlogPatrol

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP