Speaking of Glamorous...

Today's board got me thinking about all the glamorous people in my life, and I kept coming back to this particular photo. This is my favorite photograph of my grandparents; two people who truly embodied elegance. My Swedish grandmother was a presence, standing nearly six-feet tall with crystal blue eyes. She was a gourmet cook and possessed a talent for making her own clothes so ahead of their time, her style rivaled even Chanel. My grandfather, as I've mentioned before, became a well known mid-century modern architect designing such celebrated structures as the home of Frank Sinatra. That is how I knew them in their later years, but this is how I like to think of them.

They met by chance in Sweden, and knew each other just five days before being separated for four years by an ocean and a war. Letters were exchanged, money was saved, papers were filed, and still, my grandmother was dangerously close to missing her only chance to travel to the U.S. She made it, however, and I'm living proof. This photo was taken shortly after they reunited.

I've been contemplating writing a book about their lives because the details are so unbelievable, it almost seems an injustice to not tell their story. My question is, what do you think?

A  – (October 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM)  

DO IT! I would read anything you write.

Angelica Aceves  – (October 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM)  

DO IT! DO IT! (Annoying Cheerleading Chant with my fist in the air) I will handle cover art.

My Owl Barn  – (October 9, 2009 at 2:52 AM)  

I love that picture. I have a picture of my grandparents on my wall too. I feel their picture has a history and lot of stories. Yes, write a book. Good luck!

the NEO-traditionalist –   – (October 9, 2009 at 7:20 AM)  

I think you should write it! I would certainly pick up a copy! I have a lot of Swede in me as well so I so enjoy hearing about them. What an incredible couple.
XX Kate

Angelica Aceves  – (October 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM)  

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! (Annoying cheerleading voice with fist in the air) I will do the book art!

Joanna Goddard  – (October 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM)  

SO amazing. you should do it! (and i love your grandmother's cheekbones.)

Anonymous –   – (October 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM)  

Yes. Or a screenplay. I love their story! You look like your grandmother.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

BlogPatrol

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP