I Da Ho













That's right ladies and gents, our vacation recently took us to the great state of Idaho. "What's it got besides potatoes?" you ask? Well, the answer is A LOT. I come from a family of fly fishermen and women, and we've been heading there nearly every summer since I was a little girl. It's where I've built forts in the trees, stubbed my toes on the deck and written letters to childhood boyfriends. It holds secrets between cousins and smells of Swedish cooking that take me back to my earliest memories. It's the place I feel the spirit of my grandparents most.

The house we stay in was designed by my grandfather, and it's the only property of his we have left to claim as our own. (Well, us and a whole host of other peeps but whatevs.) I couldn't have been happier to be up there this summer with my parents and husband, and to be able to show him all the reasons why I fell in love with Idaho long ago. Making new memories with him was more fun than I thought possible, but I must admit, a lot of the fun stemmed from getting there.

On the first day we drove through a ridiculous storm to tackle a place called Vermilion Cliffs...in the DARK. Seriously? Cliffs?? The storm then moved through Utah where we stayed the night. It thundered for houuuuurs, and our room ended up totally flooding. Oh, and lightning stuck the hotel down the street. Uh, what dude? Luckily the next day took us to Zion (AMAZING) and down roads where there was nothing but blue sky ahead. Upon arrival? Wine, cool air and the sound of the river. Yes please! Anyway, you know how this story ends: Us having a great time, me looking at houses and jobs, everyone laughing at the ridiculousness of the idea, yada yada. Sigh.

And so concludes this edition of, "things I'll be dreaming of while at work." I hope each of you had a chance to take off on some kind of adventure this summer, even if it was just to the mall (let's be real, that happens). And speaking of vacations, happy almost Friday everyone. Here's to a short week, great memories, and well, Travelzoo.

Word.

justagirlLaura  – (August 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM)  

Those pictures are AMAZING! Way to GO, IdaHO. [Sorry.]

Unknown  – (August 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM)  

Just beautiful!! I was waiting for the story. Love this. Great pics Mama!!

Elizabeth  – (August 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM)  

I have family in Idaho. Unfortunately for me, not lovely or scenic region of Idaho... rather, the region of Idaho where cows outnumber people, 70s and 80s fashions are still in vogue, and you can't get a damn mixed drink on Sunday.

2 by Design  – (August 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM)  

Elizabeth - I must admit that while driving through Twin Falls, I was told that their Costco didn't sell booze. Ummm, what? Lack of booze, in and of itself, could be the real reason I never live there full-time. I mean, no bloody mary's on bloody mary Sunday?? No thank you.

Pretty Neat Designs  – (August 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM)  

I just found your blog, and those photos are amazing. I feel like I just went on a mini vacation, but now I want to go again and get out of the car and run around. really really beautiful.

2 by Design  – (August 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM)  

Pretty Neat Designs I'd like to go on a mini vacation again too. Let's do it, shall we??

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

BlogPatrol

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP